Meet the Scholarship Recipients
ABFSE Scholarship Committee made 5 scholarship awards totaling $8,500 in October 2018. 74 application inquiries were received and 18
complete applications were considered.
Recipients of the scholarship awards were:
- Wylie Halferty: Carl Sandburg College
- Holly Herrera: Cypress College
- Rachel Metzger: Arapahoe College
- Alexander Mock: Worsham College
- Taylor Slone: Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science
• National Scholarship Program
• Post Graduate Scholarship Program
National Scholarship Program
Scholarship Program of the American Board of Funeral Service Education was established to provide financial awards to students enrolled in funeral service or mortuary science programs
to assist them in obtaining their professional education. Established during the 1960’s the program has awarded scholarships to hundreds of students.
Scholarships are generally from $500 - $2,500 for an academic year and are applied directly to the student’s tuition charges after certification
of enrollment is received from the college involved. Students may apply once per calendar year for consideration.
Selection of scholarship recipients is competitive. Each year a larger number of students apply than there are awards
available. Awards are made by the Scholarship Committee of the American Board of Funeral Service Education. The Committee meets twice each year, in April and October.
The deadlines for all materials to be postmarked are:
IMPORTANT NOTE: ALL applications must be submitted using the new
Online Scholarship Application Form
To be considered for an award, a student must--
Have completed at least one semester (or quarter) of study in a program in funeral service or mortuary science education accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education. Students in coordinated programs are only eligible for an award during the period of attendance
at the American Board accredited institution.
2. Have at least one term or semester remaining in his/her program which will commence after the award date (April or September) in order to
be considered for a full award. Students with less than a full term of study remaining will be considered for partial awards.
3. Complete all forms required by the Scholarship Committee of the American Board of Funeral Service Education and submit them prior to the
above deadline dates. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered by the committee.
4. Be a citizen of the United States.
Procedures and Requirements
Only those students who have completed one or more terms of study in funeral service or mortuary science education are eligible to apply.
If you meet this overall qualification, follow the steps below:
1. The online Scholarship form must be submitted online.
2. After submission you will receive an “email confirmation”. Please print out a copy of the confirmation.
3. View or download the supporting documents list (letter of recommendation, transcripts, etc.)
(view or download the checklist ).
4. Mail the “email confirmation” along with supporting documents to:
American Board of Funeral Service Education
992 Mantua Pike, Suite 108
Woodbury Heights, NJ 08097
Faxes will not be accepted.
NOTE: Your Application will not be eligible for consideration until we receive your package of additional items.
If you have any questions regarding your application, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Fill out an Online Scholarship Application now!
Information about the Post Graduate Scholarship Program
We thank our Scholarship Sponsors !